Tax Preparation Program CoordinatorUnited Way of Snohomish County
Purpose: Community Impact
Title: Tax Preparation Program Coordinator (Full-Time/Temporary Assignment)
Apply: Submit a resume by December 3rd for first consideration; Position will remain open until filled.
Reports to: Director of Impact & Investment
Hiring Range: $19.00 - $20.00/hr.; This is a full-time, temporary position (December-May) with no benefits except those required by law. This temporary position is paid through a contracted employment agency.
We are recruiting for a Tax Program (VITA) Coordinator with strong skills in customer service, while ensuring quality in the tax returns filed for families and individuals struggling with low income. The Free Tax Preparation Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free tax preparation and access to the Earned Income Tax Credit and other tax credits to help families with a household income of $55,000 or less. Experience with volunteer management is a critical asset for this position. While tax law knowledge is a plus, it is not required; additional training will be provided by United Way for anyone hired with little to no tax law experience.
We welcome all candidates who demonstrate the skills and abilities for this role, regardless of background, experience or education to apply.
- Coordinate the 2019 Free Tax Preparation Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program activities
- Coordinate and provide trainings for site staff and program volunteers
- Plan for and ensure the six (6) tax preparation sites are successfully operative per established United Way and IRS guidelines
- Work in partnership with the other Free Tax Preparation program partners and IRS agents
- Provide management support to both volunteers and sites, ensuring appropriate coverage for each shift (i.e. on-call site management)
- Provide exceptional support to program staff and volunteers, managing and answering any questions they may have
- Provide excellent customer service to clients needing to resolve issues, and make sure clients receive all the services for which they are eligible
- Ensure site managers are transmitting tax returns to IRS Service Center and follow up on all rejected returns in a timely manner
- Troubleshoot technology issues such as printer installation, networking issues, or minor laptop malfunctions
- Provide site support during tax season, as needed
- Coordinate post-season customer and site staff evaluation reports for future program planning
- Complete the IRS Advanced level by December 31, 2018
This is a temporary, full-time (37.5 hrs./week) position. The Tax Program Coordinator’s work schedule will vary depending on week and month and will include some nights and weekends. The six tax sites for the 2019 season are located in Monroe, Stanwood, Arlington, Everett, and Lynnwood. Position will require traveling between locations; mileage will be reimbursed at the state reimbursement rate.
Assignment Dates: December 2018 (as soon as hired) – May 1, 2019
Tax Law Training (Required) Dates: TBD, December 2018 – January 2019
Tax Site Operation Dates: January 14, 2019 – April 15, 2019
- Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Ability to stay calm in high-stress, face-paced environment
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Volunteer or program coordination experience
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience with individual tax return preparation or the ability to learn tax law. Prior knowledge of tax law is helpful.
- Ability to quickly learn tax prep software (TaxSlayer)
- Experience working with diverse communities a plus
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred
- Computer skills and experience in troubleshooting hardware (laptops and printers) a plus
Education and/or Experience
Associate degree or equivalent experience, or advanced courses in accounting, computers, or related field preferred; at least 1 (or 2+) years’ experience in supervision of staff or volunteers a plus. Tax preparation background is a plus.