Public Works Operator
TOWN OF TWISP
PUBLIC WORKS OPERATOR
$18.05 to $25.92 DOE
The person in this position is responsible, as part of the Public Works crew, for the general
maintenance, repair, and operation of the many faceted public works operations within the
Town of Twisp. These operations include road and street maintenance, parks and recreation,
water utility services, sanitary sewer collection/treatment services.
Public Works Director
Work Environment: Work is generally performed in a truck or other vehicle or on foot.
Incumbents are exposed to inclement weather conditions, uneven terrain and potentially
dangerous situations requiring the use of many hand tools, noisy power tools, snow clearing
machines, vehicles and materials, including biological and chemical hazards. Climbing into
confined spaces underground and on ladders is required and may require significant physical
agility. Will work occasionally around high voltage industrial wiring.
• Perform all Public Works Operations and Maintenance in compliance with all laws.
• Perform Wastewater Treatment Operations and Maintenance in compliance with all laws.
• Perform Water Treatment and Distribution Operations and Maintenance in compliance with
• Perform Wastewater Collection System Operations and Maintenance in compliance with all
• Perform Maintenance on public buildings, parks, streets, and street right of ways.
• Respond to after hour emergency call outs. Standard work week will be 40 hours with
rotating part time weekend duties. Shift changes with or without notice are possible.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or Equivalency.
Licensing and Certifications:
A Washington State Commercial Driver’s License Class B with a driving record free of serious or
frequent violations must be obtained and maintained to be employed as a PW Operator 1, AND
the following certifications;
FULL SCALE: Wastewater Operator Group 1 Certification, Water Distribution Manager 1
STEP ONE: Must possess one of the above operator certifications.
M:\PERSONNEL INFORMATION\PUBLIC WORKS\Job Descriptions\PW Operator 1 job description
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Must possess knowledge of principles, practices, methods, materials and equipment
used in the construction and maintenance of water treatment and distribution,
wastewater treatment and collections, streets, storm drainage, parks and building
• Perform heavy manual labor work under adverse and varied climatic conditions.
• Lead, supervise or train fellow employees as required.
• Follow specific oral and written instructions.
• Read, write, and perform mathematical calculations required as needed by the position.
• Work independently with minimal direct supervision.
• Operate all equipment and perform all duties required of the position within the
prescribed probationary period.
• Work effectively with fellow employees, outside agencies, contractors, elected officials
and the general public.
• Accurately and legibly document completed work.
This job description is intended to provide an overview of the requirements of the position. As
such, it is not necessarily all inclusive, and the job may require other essential and/or nonessential functions, tasks, duties, or responsibilities not listed herein. Management reserves the
sole right to add, modify, or exclude any essential or non-essential requirement at any time
with or without notice. Nothing in this job description nor by the completion of any
requirement of the job by the employee is intended to create a contract of employment of any