Area Distribution ManagerThe Seattle Times
At The Seattle Times, you'll find work that matters.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provide readers with timely, relevant news. We serve the Pacific Northwest with thoughtful, independent journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.8 million.
The Seattle Times is excited to announce a recent opening for an Area Distribution Manager in our Circulation department. Primarily, this individual will be responsible for increasing and maintaining circulation levels of The Seattle Times’ newspaper in a large geographical area. Additionally, these areas include overview and upkeep of dealerships in the Seattle Metropolitan area, and Dealers/Single Copy in the outlying areas.
As a representative of The Seattle Times, this individual is responsible for the timely and proper delivery of newspaper, Alternate Publications, and supplements to home-delivered subscribers. Additionally, the Area Manager will be responsible for sale and distribution of all single copy sales and third-party delivery operations for The Seattle Times and Alternate Publications. While overseeing independent contractors (dealers, agents, partner publications) in service, sales, and collections, he or she is expected to develop and implement comprehensive initiatives and projects from inception to conclusion.
- Identifying new markets for expansion and developing new strategies to grow sales in existing delivery areas to improve company profitability.
- Identify, quantify, and prepare comprehensive proposals to improve service, sales, profits and operational efficiencies.
- Develop and implement comprehensive dealer training programs.
- Establish performance expectations for all dealers, partner publications, and independent contractors.
- Closely monitor circulation at the dealership level. Routinely audit single copy returns and coupon security.
- Monitor dealership profitability and recommend corrective action as necessary.
- Ensure all routes and products are delivered in a timely manner.
- Prepare detailed weekly sales/operations report for the State Circulation Manager.
- Coordinate single copy promotions and/or price changes with the Single Copy department, dealers, and store owners/managers
Experience: Previous newspaper industry and/or home delivery/single copy experience. Previous management skills are a plus. Professionals with experience as an Area Distribution Manager, Newspaper Delivery Service Managers, Circulation Manager, or District Manager are encouraged to apply.
Education: College degree preferred.
- Ability to communicate well orally and in writing.
- Strong organizational and motivational skills.
- Ability to set priorities, goals, and make decisions without supervision.
- Mediation and negotiation skills valuable.
- Excel Spreadsheet and Word processing skills required.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse community.
- Ability to set and monitor expectations of independent dealers and contractors.
- Valid driver’s license
- Able to provide proof of personal car insurance
- Clean driving record
- Personal vehicle suitable for transporting newspaper equipment, supplies, and in-store racks.
- Must be willing to live in proximity of the assigned territory and work from a home office.
- Must be willing to undergo and pass a drug screen for controlled substances
Our locally-owned company takes great pride in our impact to the community, as we have for over 120 years. We know this starts with our commitment to our employees, first and foremost. We offer multiple comprehensive health benefit plans for employees (and their families), a 401(k) retirement plan with matching, generous vacation/sick time off, annual wellness benefits, dependent care options, and much more. We continuously strive to provide a work-life harmony that encourages personal and professional growth at a company that breathes deeply held values of quality, independent journalism.