Volunteer Firefighter Support
Volunteer Firefighter Support
South County Fire, Everett, WA is actively recruiting for Volunteer Firefighter Support position.
Core Values: All employees of South County Fire are expected to hold themselves accountable for upholding and demonstrating our core values at all times: Integrity, Humility, Compassion, Family and Trust.
Summary: This position serves to support the RFA’s mission to enhance the lives of our community. Volunteer Firefighter Supports assist firefighters at emergency scenes in a non-IDLH capacity, and also assist with community outreach and education activities within South County Fire’s service area.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
Essential Job Functions
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond as dispatched to emergency incidents with Air 10, and if necessary, Utility 10 to provide support services such as SCBA bottle filling, staging and rehab, lighting, salvage, traffic control assistance and associated duties.
- Understand and adhere to emergency scene procedures as directed by command staff in authority.
- Assist the Public Information Officer (PIO) and the Fire and Life Safety Educators with public education and outreach events as needed.
- Support the efforts of the Operations Division in case of fire, mass casualty incidents, natural disaster, environmental emergency, or other extreme needs faced by South County Fire’s emergency responders as well as automatic and mutual aid agencies.
- Regular attendance at drills, meetings, community events and assigned shifts.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- South County Fire’s goals and objectives.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Skills and Ability To:
- Communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
Education and Experience:
- High school graduate/GED or equivalent required.
- Minimum 18 years of age. Must be 21 years of age to drive department vehicles.
- Valid Washington State driver’s license, with acceptable driving record.
- Must pass pre-screening employment checks to include: Criminal background check as required by RCW 43.43.830; drug screen, psychological exam, reference checks.
- Must complete 12-month job integration program to learn and understand role, to include:
- Completion of Emergency Vehicle Accident Prevention Certification
- Completion of Basic First Aid and CPR Certification
- Operations of Air 10 (SCBA cylinder refilling, scene lighting, and staging and rehab)
NOTE: Volunteer Firefighter Supports shall not be permitted to make entry into immediate danger to life and health (IDLH) atmospheres.
Physical Demands: Position may require standing, walking, and the ability to kneel, stoop, bend and twist at the waist and reach; ability to operate a motor vehicle and to visit various meeting sites; ability to lift up to 50 lbs. on occasion (SCBA cylinders, lighting units); and ability to hear and speak to communicate in person, by telephone and radio.
Working Conditions: Volunteer Firefighter Supports may encounter adverse weather conditions, and work in indoor and outdoor environments. Individual will be exposed to cold, heat, fire, smoke, high-decibel noise. Individual will work around and with machinery having moving parts, traffic hazards, and rides in and/or drives department apparatus as required.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.