Human Services Specialist II - Development Disabilities
Join our Snohomish County Human Services Team!
The Human Service Department’s mission is to help all people meet their basic needs and develop their potential by providing timely, effective human services and building community.
The Human Services Department includes almost 240 diverse, friendly and dedicated employees who benefit from outstanding benefits and competitive wages. Employees are appreciated and have the opportunity to make a real difference in our community. Snohomish County is thriving and is a great place to live, work, play, and raise a family. We strive to not only provide a meaningful job, but a life-long career.
If you would like to work with a professional, passionate, and collaborative team to promote quality services to individuals with developmental disabilities, we invite you to apply for this position.
This position is working with the Snohomish County Developmental Disabilities program in the Human Services Department. This position will focus on supported employment, monitoring, quality assurance and managing the training and technical assistance contracts. The position will provide technical assistance and support related to job foundation, transition, person centered planning and have basic knowledge of benefits planning. You will work closely with our developmental disabilities team, community partners including program service providers, schools, Department of Vocational Rehabilitation, and the State Developmental Disabilities Administration.
To perform responsible professional work in the planning, development, coordination, implementation and evaluation of human services programs either through direct services or by sub contractual arrangements.
- Coordinates assigned program planning and development activities of complex programs with supervisors, administrators, other department staff, other county departments, other government agencies, private service organizations, citizen groups, and other organizations as necessary.
- Develops and conducts needs assessments and prepares comprehensive program plans, goals, and objectives, program budgets and contract documents for human services programs as assigned.
- Coordinates the data collection and reporting requirements for, assigned programs, including the organization and computerization of such reports; prepares analysis of data.
- Develops and negotiates contracts and service agreements with program subcontractors; monitors contract compliance and reviews and evaluates subcontractor performance for quality assurance and prepares monitoring reports and corrective action plans.
- Participates in the development of programmatic budgets within areas of assigned responsibility; participates in negotiation and execution of contracts with federal, state and other funding sources; provides ongoing monitoring of internal program budget(s); makes recommendations for modifications as necessary.
- Provides a variety of information and technical assistance to program subcontractor and potential subcontractors as necessary.
- Researches and prepares applications to obtain funding for various projects, studies or programs as assigned.
- Provides staffing for advisory boards and committees; provides group facilitation for community groups and committees to accomplish program goals.
- Keeps informed of and provides interpretation of federal, state and local regulations and guidelines relating to assigned program areas.
- Provides community leadership and mobilization for assigned areas; provides community education and training including coordination of community events.
- Facilitates funding application processes, including request for proposals.
- Works in a cross disciplinary and interdepartmental manner to best meet the needs of the department's clientele.
- Oversees activities of student interns and volunteers as assigned.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Be familiar with affordable housing activities including preparing down-line capital contracts and be knowledgeable of mortgages, subordination agreements, title insurance and other real estate documents. May work with escrow agencies and attend property closings, record required security documents, evaluate and take necessary action to protect the county's interest in the event of property foreclosures or agency bankruptcy.
- Inspect multi-family housing units for health, safety and code violations, monitor projects to ensure that the intended use of the property has been maintained for the required term of the contracts, ensures compliance with fair housing, tenant income requirements, and other regulations, writes inspection reports and notifies property managers and agencies of violations with required work orders and perform follow-up monitoring activities.
A Bachelor's degree in business or public administration, one of the social sciences or other field directly related to human services; PLUS, two (2) years progressively responsible experience in human services program planning, grant preparation and management or in a closely related field; OR, any equivalent combination of training and/or experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities. Must pass job related tests.
- human services and governmental agencies, programs and resources
- grant writing methods, principles and applications
- application of relevant federal, state and local laws, codes, rules, regulations and guidelines to human services programming and operations
- research principles and methods; the use of computer technology
- programmatic best practices
- specific populations served by human services programs
- develop human services programs, plans for services and operation
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with public, co-workers, governmental officials, citizen groups and advisory boards
- develop and maintain complete and accurate records
- analyze problems and prepare alternative strategies for solution
- gather, analyze and evaluate program, statistical and financial data
- perform data management requirements and updates on personal computer
- provide training to community groups and agencies as required
- communicate effectively orally and in writing
Accommodations for individuals with disabilities are provided upon request.
EEO policy and ADA notice