Edmonds College is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. The college values its talented, diverse workforce and seeks to attract, hire, and support employees who consistently and actively embrace diversity and equity. Edmonds College is an equal opportunity employer. Edmonds College invites all individuals to apply and as an equal opportunity employer, we also encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds and groups to apply for this position.
ASSISTANT TEACHER - HEAD START/ECEAP
(Early Childhood Program Specialist 2)
SALARY: $3,167 per month
LOCATION: Everett and Lynnwood, Washington
The Assistant Teacher works under the direction of the Teacher/Family Advocates in our Head Start and ECEAP preschool classrooms, implementing individualized curriculum and ensuring the health and safety of all students. The Assistant teacher builds trusting relationships with children that honor individual differences, cultural & linguistic backgrounds, and current circumstances. This is a classified position reporting to the Education Site Manager.
Salary range: Beginning salary is $3067 per month for 40 hours per week, with incremental increases to $3701 per month plus a full state benefits package, which includes tuition waivers for college classes, medical, dental, retirement options and more. Vacation and leave package includes 9 sick days per year, 8 scheduled holidays, 1 personal holiday, 2 personal leave days, and 10.5 vacation days per year (incremental increases to 18.75 vacation days per year).
40 hours per week, Monday – Friday. Monday: 4 hours; Tues-Friday: 9 hrs/day
- Instruct children in a classroom setting
- Implement individual child educational programming and prepare curriculum materials as directed by the Teacher/Family Advocate
- Record anecdotal observations, conduct screenings and assessments according to standardized instructions
- Maintain scores of Adequate, Strong, and Exemplary on yearly Strengthening Operations for Learning and Results (SOLAR) observations.
- Maintain paper and electronic documentation and records
- Execute classroom snack and meal service
- Set up a preschool classroom (including moving of child's size furniture, tables, chairs, shelves, and regular sized shelving units)
- Perform regular sanitation and cleaning of the classroom
- Maintain the health and safety of all children and their environment
- Ensure that no child is ever left alone or unsupervised
- In the absence of the Teacher/Family Advocate, take the lead in managing the classroom
- Meet weekly with teaching team to discuss classroom needs and responsibilities
- Must be able to walk or run quickly, kneel or sit on the floor, lift approximately 50 pounds, sit in a child's size chair, and move quickly from multiple positions and levels
- Ability to perform regular sanitation/cleaning of the classroom that may require the use of a broom, carpet sweeper, mop, vacuum, and the use of cleaning products
- Other duties as assigned
- Educational requirement (One of the following is required):
- Washington State Initial Early Childhood Education Certificate, or
- Twelve credits in early childhood education, leading to an Associate's or Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, or
- A current Child Development Associate (CDA) credential, or
- Enrollment in a CDA credential program, to be completed within two years of hire
- One year of work experience in a preschool classroom
- Associate's degree or higher in Early Childhood Education
- Experience working in a preschool classroom
- Experience working with children who have special needs and/or disabilities
- Fluency in a language other than English
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Ability to report to work at scheduled times; position may require some evening scheduling. Work is performed in a preschool classroom. Must be able to walk or run quickly, kneel or sit on the floor, lift approximately 50 pounds, sit in a child's size chair, and move quickly from multiple positions and levels. Ability to perform regular sanitation/cleaning of the classroom that may require the use of a broom, carpet sweeper, mop, vacuum, and the use of cleaning products is essential. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, are essential.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must be able to transport self to off-site trainings and meetings
- Required vaccines: TDap, MMR, Hep B series, COVID-19
- Must show a negative TB Test and obtain a health provider statement showing free of communicable diseases
- Cleared Portable Background Check through DCYF
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
All applicants must apply online. No paper submissions or emailed materials will be accepted. Your online application must include the following documents in order to be complete:
1. Responses to supplemental questions (part of the online application). (These questions reflect the required and desired qualifications and are used in the screening process. Please provide thorough responses.)
2. Current resume.
3. Names and contact information for three references.
4. For veterans' preference, please scan and attach your DD214, Member-4 Form.
EEO/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT:
Edmonds College is an equal opportunity employer and assures equality of treatment in educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (gender), disability, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, veteran status, or genetic information. Applicants with disabilities who require assistance with the recruitment process may call 425-640-1470 and accommodations will be made to the extent reasonably possible. The Human Resources Office is accessible to persons with disabilities.
JEANNE CLERY STATEMENT:
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act of 1998, and as a part of Edmonds College’s commitment to safety and security on campus, the College reports the mandated information about current campus policies concerning safety and security issues, the required statistics, and other related information for the past three (3) calendar years. Edmonds College’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.edmonds.edu/safety/clery-act/documents/annual-report.pdf.
- Please tell us the way(s) in which you meet the educational requirements for this position.
- Are you currently enrolled in college classes leading to a degree in early childhood education? If so, how many credits do you have and what is your degree goal?
- Tell us about your experience working in a preschool classroom. Include number of years worked.
- Tell us about your experience working with children with special needs and/or disabilities.
- Are you fluent in a language other than English?