Systems Engineer IISnohomish County 911
SYSTEMS ENGINEER II
Snohomish County 911 Emergency Communications is a 9-1-1 police, fire and medical dispatch center serving Snohomish County that processes emergency and non-emergency calls to all police and fire agencies. Snohomish County 911 is one of the busiest dispatch centers in Washington State.
We are seeking candidates to fill a full time Systems Engineer II position in our Everett, WA regional communications facility. Candidates must be able to identify with Snohomish County 911’s Core Values: Integrity, Vision, Excellence, Empathy, and Proactive. Working together as a team, you will achieve goals and meet deadlines while understanding that communication is critical.
This is an ideal opportunity to be a part of the implementation of the technical roadmap for applications and services at Snohomish County 911. The right candidate will support the organization in delivering network and systems services in-house and to our public safety agencies. Network services include site surveys, network designs, installation/maintenance, and wired and wireless Internet setups within the facilities.
Qualified candidates must demonstrate experience in the planning, engineering, implementation and support of networks (LAN, WAN and DMZ), network security and computer systems. Candidates must possess the required education and experience to be considered for the position.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Installation and Maintenance
Complete the installation and configuration of network hardware in new and/or existing infrastructure. Document all implemented projects following industry best standards and practices. Support external and internal client concerns and expectations during install/cutover of services and provide creative and cost effective solutions as required. Perform onsite event support and network maintenance/upgrades as required.
- Survey and Design
Complete network survey and design projects. Responsible for understanding complex network infrastructure (new and existing) and overall design of public safety networks. Communicate on site and remotely with Snohomish County 911 and member agency technical staff, and attend meetings as necessary. Create detail oriented network documentation and designs based on onsite network assessments and surveys.
- Network Support and Monitoring
Root cause analysis and proactive communication are critical. Provide phone support to member agencies. Manage changes and updates to hardware, configurations and documentation. Provide escalation of detailed troubleshooting steps and resolution. Attend conference calls with clients and vendors to network needs. Support custom configurations based on our member agency needs. Perform onsite and emergency support as required. When on call, must be able to report into Snohomish County 911 within one hour of receiving a request for urgent technical support needs.
- Training and Testing
Responsible for staying up-to-date with the latest Cisco and other network related vendors, as well as Microsoft and various related IT technologies. Administer necessary training and knowledge transfer to Snohomish County 911 technical staff. Perform testing/verification for network configurations, hardware, and software updates, user interfaces, and associated systems.
A combination of education and related experience sufficient to provide the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
- A current CCNA Switching and Routing certification or ability to obtain within first 12 months of employment.
- A minimum of a two-year degree, certificate in a related technical field (Cisco), or five (5) years full-time experience in network engineering and administration.
The Ideal Candidate should possess the following:
- Cisco Certifications – Preferred: CCNA or CCNP
- 5+ years Microsoft Server Experience
- 5+ years of Cisco IOS and hardware experience
- Experience with VLANs, ACLs, IPSEC/VPNs, and IP Subnetting
- Experience troubleshooting Internet connectivity issues
- Palo Alto Firewall experience
- Experience in network storage – HP LeftHands/StorVirtual, Dell EqualLogic
- Experience in VMware vSphere
- Demonstrated troubleshooting skills and root cause analysis
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail. Must be able to communicate to different audiences with varying levels of technical knowledge
Due to the nature of this work, candidates are required to successfully pass a thorough, intense and strict pre-employment background investigation. Failure to disclose pertinent information or attempt to conceal requested information may be grounds for immediate disqualification. Recent drug use, criminal convictions, unprofessional/inappropriate workplace conduct and other factors may also be grounds for immediate disqualification.
PAY AND BENEFITS
- Snohomish County 911 offers highly competitive compensation and benefits programs.
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Generous paid time off program
- 12 paid holidays
- Public Employees Retirement System (PERS)
- Deferred compensation match
The position will remain open until filled. Only applicants possessing the stated qualifications, education and experience will be considered for the position.
SNOHOMISH COUNTY 911 is an Equal Opportunity Employer