Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of established web-based databases and techniques of searching and accessing those resources.
- Thorough knowledge of established practices and procedures for an integrated library system (ILS).
- Thorough knowledge of library policies and procedures for determining needs and interests of customers.
- Knowledge of collection development policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of library resources, programs, and services.
- Knowledge of alpha and numeric systems for arranging library materials as well as automated bibliographic identification at a basic level.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Strong organization and attention to detail.
- Ability to uphold the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace and the community.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences.
- Ability to handle and resolve disruptive behavior effectively.
- Ability to work independently and to set priorities.
- Ability to work cooperatively and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with the public and co-workers.
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems including hardware and software, such as Microsoft Word and Excel, electronic databases, email, and internet navigation in addition to other office equipment and security systems.
Education and Experience
Knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position can be acquired by a combination of experience and education including:
- College-level education or specialized training such as library science, presenting programs, or other profession-based subject areas.
- Two years of experience providing direct customer service.
Physical and Environmental Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Most of the work is carried out within a generally accessible, safe, indoor environment. While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent must identify and organize library materials such as books, audiobooks, and DVDs based on small-print numbers and alphabetical characters; scan and inspect library materials including opening media cases. Incumbents may frequently move objects or materials weighing up to 35 pounds, including transfer of books and other materials to carts or shelves of varying heights. Incumbents may be required to move carts of books and other materials about the building for extended periods of time. Incumbents are required operate computers and may frequently remain stationary at one workstation for extended periods of time.
The incumbent must regularly communicate with coworkers and members of the public. These contacts and situations are deemed to be generally safe and free of undue stress, but require incumbents to be cordial, helpful, and skilled in interpersonal relations with others both in the public and within the Library District.
Incumbents may travel to various sites in all kinds of weather and traffic conditions. To accomplish this travel, the incumbent must be able to drive and hold a valid Washington State driver's license or to make independent arrangements for such transportation.
The following questions will be asked during the application process:
- Describe your experience in providing technical assistance in computer hardware and software.
- Describe your experience in creating programs and presenting information to groups of people.
- Describe your experience providing direct customer service, including specific examples.
- Describe your experience navigating web databases and the techniques used for researching and accessing those resources.
- Describe a time when you adjusted your communication style to work more effectively with a person from a different background.
- Describe your knowledge of library resources, programs and services.
Sno-Isle Libraries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. This and all Sno-Isle Libraries' positions are subject to transfer.