Landscaper/Lead GroundsEverett Public Schools
Education and Experience
Three (3) years experience in grounds/ landscaping or maintenance-related work with evidence of lead or supervisory responsibilities.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of equipment, materials and tools used in routine building and grounds maintenance; turf care, erosion prevention, irrigation methods, pest management and pesticides; plants, soils and proper planting procedures; applicable safety precautions and procedures.
Ability to train, supervise and direct the activities of a work crew; perform strenuous physical work; adhere to timelines; prioritize and organize activities; work under pressure and with a minimum of supervision; prepare and maintain accurate records; understand and follow oral and written instructions; operate motor vehicles, and power and hand tools.
Skill in working as a member of a team.
Valid Washington State driver’s license; valid CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) desirable; valid pesticide certification.
Work is typically performed in a field environment. Incumbent is typically required to negotiate rough terrain; stand for prolonged periods, and climb, balance, crouch, crawl, bend, or kneel. Required to lift and/or move objects weighing over 50 pounds; work outdoors in all weather conditions. May be exposed to hazardous materials and high noise levels; must be able to operate a variety of hand and power tools and equipment. Will come in contact with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds. May be under pressure to complete a job, especially when preparing for scheduled events, such as athletic competitions.
Incumbent supervises grounds maintenance and performs manual labor in and about the building facilities and grounds.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Train, plan, direct and oversee the activities of a work crew.
- Operate, and supervise the operation of, a variety of mowers and related turf equipment in caring for grounds; apply fertilizers and pesticides; irrigate turf as necessary; do erosion control.
- Care for, and direct the care of, plants, including watering, weeding, trimming, pruning, mulching and feeding.
- Perform cleaning and maintenance of District grounds and facilities, including pressure washing, picking up trash, and clearing sidewalks with a leafblower; repairing fences and gates; moving, setting up and taking down of furniture and equipment. Supervise staff in all of these activities.
- Perform minor equipment maintenance as needed; replace damaged or malfunctioning sprinkler heads. Supervise staff in these activities.
- Perform routine record keeping of assigned equipment and facilities.
- Perform related duties as assigned.