Public Information SpecialistCommunity Transit
Public Information Specialist
$73,924 - $88,709 DOE
Under general supervision, assists in development and implementation of corporate messaging, media relations and digital communications (web and social media). Writes and edits copy for news releases, brochures, speeches and other internal or external communications, as well as interacts with reporters, riders and the public in person and through digital channels, including still photography and video. Represents the company in public forums, at meetings and makes presentations as assigned.
- Researches, conducts interviews and writes copy for news releases, brochures, speeches and other internal or external communications.
- Responds to media inquiries, develops media kits, arranges editorial meetings and media tours, and takes photographs and video at Community Transit events.
- Represents Community Transit, as assigned, at public events and meetings of committees, organizations and project task forces as a participating member or in absence of manager.
- Develops concepts for website and social media to reach target audiences, writes copy, takes photos or video, provides guidance to graphics personnel in development of visual aids, places posts and acts as liaison with customers and the general public.
- Edits internal and external communications, including the company intra-net site; offers suggestions for improvements and rewrites when necessary.
- Develops portions of corporate communications plan as assigned and serves as liaison between corporation and public in implementation of plan.
- Develops and implements processes for tracking and monitoring website and social media campaigns and promotions to ascertain success and results.
- Plans, organizes and implements community outreach activities such as public hearings, focus groups, surveys, education/information presentations and special events.
- Develops and makes community presentations as required in support of corporate activities, including electronic communications, internal and external public relations, planning and other activities.
- Assist in development of Agency Communications budget.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Bachelor's degree in communications arts, public relations, journalism, marketing or related field,
- Three years of experience in the field, including media contact.
- Experience in writing press releases and brochures.
- Digital photography,
- Experience creating social media and website content or an equivalent combination of education.
- Valid Washington State Driver's License
- Experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Qualification to enter this position requires knowledge of the following:
- A variety of writing styles.
- Correct grammar, usage and punctuation.
- Public relations principles and practices.
- Social media principles and website content management.
Qualification to enter this position requires skill in:
- Creatively expressing a concept in writing using a variety of styles and types of copy, such as journalism, social media, promotions, advertising and speeches.
- Representing a company or agency to the media.
- Use of personal computer and related word processing, spreadsheet and desktop publishing software in a Windows environment (e.g., Word, Publisher, Excel).
- Preparing and making presentations to public groups of various sizes.
- Project management, organization and time management.
- Communication and interpersonal relations as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, repetitive motions, carrying, pulling, pushing.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.
Involves local travel to meetings and events.
Application and Selection Process: Applicants must complete Application by 5:00 p.m. July 20, 2018.
Applicants who meet the minimum requirements may be scheduled for an interview as well as a variety of tests to demonstrate knowledge, and skills for the position. The evaluation process may include interviews, background checks, reference checks and various performance tests. On-line Applications Only - Apply at https://careers-commtrans.icims.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants for this job may be considered for other openings up to six months after the date this position is filled.
Community Transit provides a tobacco-free and drug-free work environment. As a recipient of federal funds, Community Transit is a Equal Opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on any basis prohibited by Federal, State or Local law. We value and encourage diversity in our workforce. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability. Qualified applicants national origin, sex protected veteran status or disability.