Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
Operates wastewater treatment and sludge processing equipment to control flow and processing of wastewater, sludge, and effluent. Interprets readings from meters, charts, instruments and gauges. Obtains wastewater samples and performs routine laboratory analysis. Maintains logs and records. May have pre-treatment responsibilities. May perform wastewater collection and maintenance duties.
Examples of Job Duties:
- Performs skilled, semi-skilled and complex maintenance and operation activities
designed to provide quality service for the City’s wastewater systems.
- Monitors the performance of all equipment, gauges and charts in the treatment plant
and pump stations.
- Records statistical data concerning plant operations. Charts lab test results for trend
analysis and maintains accurate records of analysis and test results. Evaluates data and
writes reports, as required. Maintains monthly discharge monitoring reports.
- Inspects, operates, maintains and repairs malfunctions at the wastewater treatment
plant; repairs gauges, pumps, filters and other controls and equipment at frequent
intervals to insure that all aspects of the system are functioning properly.
- Collects samples and identifies concentrations of chemical, physical or biological
characteristics of wastewater required in accordance with local, state and federal
requirements. Gathers and tests wastewater samples for plant efficiency reports, as
- Performs quality control tests on lab equipment and lab analysis. Evaluates procedures
and results for accuracy and determines appropriate methods.
- Maintains department QA/QC manual.
- Calibrates, modifies or repairs instrumentation and control equipment including
recorders, flow meter and other water quality monitoring equipment.
- Operates and maintains sewage pump stations. Cleans wet wells and operates pumps
and valves to control and adjust flow and treatment process.
- Performs locates on utilities and construction inspections for sewer as built for all new construction as required.
- Standby duty is required for this position.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade, including three (3) to six (6) years of experience working within a Wastewater Division; and at least one (1) year employed as a Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator II; or any combination of education and experience.
Special Requirements: Level I -Valid Washington State Driver’s License -WWTPO II Certification from Washington State Department of Ecology. -Pumps and Motors training -CDL Certification, Flagger Certification, Confined Space Entry, First Aid/CPR Certification; -Ability to reach Stanwood within forty (40) minutes of call-out Level II -WWTPO III Certification