Public Works Technician (Wastewater Division)
Department: Public Works
Salary Range: $50,064 to $68,724/year, plus generous benefits
Closes: Open Until Filled – First Application Review - Friday, January 21, 2022
Position Summary: Performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled maintenance work, and operates a variety of equipment in the construction, operation, repair and maintenance and replacement of wastewater facilities and systems.
Examples of Job Duties:
- Inspects, maintains, operates and/or repairs malfunctions at the wastewater treatment plant; repairs gauges, pumps, filters and other controls and equipment at frequent intervals to ensure that all aspects of the system are functioning properly.
- Works with assigned crews in installing new wastewater lines and collection systems.
- Assists the Wastewater Treatment Plant Lead in maintaining a variety of records relating to inspections, maintenance activity, lab work, etc.;
- Determines the locations of gas, telephone, power, television, and water and wastewater lines from the appropriate sources prior to excavation.
- Responds to complaints regarding wastewater problems, evaluates situations, and explains findings to supervisor.
- Ensures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use.
- Drives trucks of various sizes and weights related to the operations and maintenance of the wastewater collections system.
- Operates a variety of power construction and maintenance equipment used in the wastewater department.
- Performs routine inspections and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor; cleans equipment.
- Performs all duties in conformance with appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew, including pavement cutting, ditch digging, main and pipe repair, laying and backfilling.
- Assists wastewater treatment plant operator with sampling and laboratory analysis, when necessary.
- Makes purchasing recommendations on any material or equipment needed to carry out the duties of the division and makes purchases upon approval;
- Perform all duties in conformance with appropriate safety and security standards;
- Standby duty may be required for this position.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade, including at least one (1) year experience performing a majority of the essential duties and functions of the position; or any combination of education and experience.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License and clean driving record
- Flagger certification, Confined Space Entry, First Aid/CPR Certification within one (1) year of hire
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator In-Training (OIT) within one (1) year of hire
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator I Certification
- CDL Certification with Tanker Endorsement
- Standby Duty Required at this Level
- Ability to Reach Stanwood Within Forty (40) Minutes of Call-Out
The City of Stanwood is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce