PUBLIC WORKS TECHNICIAN I, II (Streets, Parks, Drainage, Building and Grounds)
Department: Public Works
Salary Range: $48,492 to $66,564/year, plus excellent benefits
To Apply: Online at www.stanwoodwa.org
(Application can also be downloaded from website)
Closes: Monday, August 9, 2021
Performs a variety of skilled or semi-skilled maintenance/custodial work, and operates a variety of equipment in the operation, repair and maintenance of City streets, parks, storm drainage, recreation structures, and/or buildings and grounds.
Works under the immediate supervision of the Public Works Lead. May receive assignments, training, and guidance from Public Works Supervisor and/or designee.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As part of a crew performs maintenance, operation and construction activities as needed to provide quality streets, parks, storm drainage service, and/or City buildings/grounds.
- Maintain park and open space areas such as baseball and soccer fields; mow weed, drag ball fields and line fields for games.
- Carry out aspects of janitorial and preventative maintenance schedules for City parks, streets and buildings/grounds, including but not limited to, cleaning sidewalks, trash pickup, lawn mowing, landscaping, painting, floor covering, plumbing, carpentry, mechanical work, trash pickup, and other skilled and semiskilled work.
- Inspect, wash, and perform routine maintenance of park and City buildings/grounds, drinking fountains and restrooms.
- Sweep, wash, paint, repair, or replace park tables, slabs and other aspects of City owned buildings/grounds and facilities.
- Carry out the seeding, fertilizing, top dressing, soil conditioning, watering, and the pest and weed control of parks, open spaces, and City grounds.
- Perform asphalt repair and maintenance on City streets, park structures, and buildings/grounds, including but not limited to, pavement cutting, hauling of sand and gravel, laying and backfilling.
- Perform storm drainage development and maintenance activities, including but not limited to, vactor services, ditch digging, main and pipe repairs.
- Maintain drainage facilities, including but not limited to, retention ponds.
- Sweep City streets;
- Transport, arrange and set up furniture and fixtures within City buildings, as needed and assigned.
- Follow schedules and ensure the proper maintenance of all equipment and tools used in the maintenance, operation, and construction activities involving City streets, parks, storm drainage, recreation structures and/or buildings/grounds by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use, and by performing routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment, and referring defects and needed repairs to the Public Works Lead Worker.
- Make purchasing recommendations on any material or equipment needed to carry out the duties of the Maintenance Division to the Public Works Lead and makes purchases upon approval.
- May provide guidance and instruction to part-time employees.
- May train entry-level employees and part-time employees to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position when assigned.
- Perform all duties in conformance with appropriate safety and security standards.
- Perform other necessary duties as determined by the Public Works Supervisor or designee.
MINIMUM DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school, GED equivalent;
- At least one (1) year of experience performing a majority of the essential duties and functions of the position, or;
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS/DESIRED CERTIFICATIONS
Public Works Tech I
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License and a clean driving record.
- Flagging certification, CPR/First Aid certification, confined space entry certification, playground safety certification within one (1) year of hire.
- Standby duty is optional at this level.
Public Works Tech II
- 24 months of acceptable performance with no corrective actions needed
- Commercial Driver’s License Class B
- Pesticide certification
- Standby duty is required at this level
- Ability to reach Stanwood within forty (40) minutes of call-out.
The City of Stanwood is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce