Temporary Public Works Maintenance WorkerCity of Snohomish
TEMPORARY PUBLIC WORKS
Department: Public Works
Salary: $14.00 per hour
Position Summary: Under supervision, the Temporary Maintenance Worker performs a wide variety of
semi-skilled and skilled maintenance and repair tasks to City parks, facilities, streets, water and sewer
utility systems. Maintenance Workers are typically assigned to specialized crews, such as Parks, Water,
Sewer, or Streets, but may be temporarily assigned to any City maintenance project depending on work
load requirements, emergencies, or staffing needs.
Temporary Maintenance Workers perform frequently strenuous work for extended periods of time and
must work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
This position is temporary full time, and shall not exceed four consecutive months in any twelve-month period.
Examples of Job Duties:
- Operates a variety of hand tools, power tools, vehicles, and construction equipment in digging
trenches and culverts, repairing asphalt, repairing water and sewer lines, making utility service
- Performs a variety of routine and repetitive maintenance activities, such as mowing and weeding
along City roadways.
- Performs routine maintenance and cleaning of sewer lines and storm drains.
- Installs and repairs street and other informational signs.
- Using paint sprayer, paints street lines and traffic markings.
- Hauls materials in City vehicles used in construction and maintenance and repair operations.
- Cleans and maintains tools and equipment used in daily maintenance and repair operations, and
may be required to make temporary repairs to malfunctioning equipment in the field.
- During emergencies, works with other maintenance workers in making repairs to broken water
mains, unblocking storm and sanitary sewer lines.
- As assigned, works individually or with other maintenance workers in executing special
construction or maintenance projects, such as grading, minor remodeling, or landscaping
- Deals courteously with the general public in responding to complaints, comments, or requests for
service in the field, and forwards major complaints to assigned supervisor.
- May be assigned to work with community groups and other City officials in performing routine
maintenance activities, such as street sweeping, litter collection, and setting street barricades, in
conjunction with special community events.
- Performs related duties as required.
Working knowledge of construction or building trade, and the demonstrated ability to perform
strenuous physical work for extended periods of time, including lifting heavy objects and
License or Certificate:
Valid Washington State Driver's license.
Pre-employment Criminal Background and Driver’s Record Check Required.
The City of Snohomish is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for
employment without regard to race, creed, color, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual
orientation, or the presence of a non-job-related condition or disability