Public Works ManagerCity of Snohomish
The City of Snohomish, Washington
is seeking a
Public Works Manager
The Public Works Manager manages the Parks, Facilities, Streets and Fleet Division, which provides maintenance and operations of the City’s 11 parks, building facilities, streets and sidewalks, and the City’s fleet. This division is currently staffed by 11 FTEs. Typical services include custodial cleaning, building maintenance, building remodels and upgrades, park grounds maintenance, park structure maintenance, parks facility reservations, coordinating volunteer and service organization projects on public property, maintaining streets and sidewalks, street sweeping, street lighting, street signs, traffic signal maintenance, vegetation control, traffic control, pedestrian and vehicle safety, and vehicle maintenance.
The Public Works Manager position is an FLSA-exempt position and there are no overtime provisions.
Necessary Knowledge and Abilities:
- Administrative principles and practices, including goal setting, program development, implementation and evaluation, and project management.
- Principles and practices of budget development and administration.
- Principles and practices of employee supervision, including work planning, assignment review and evaluation, and the training of staff in work procedures.
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, ordinances, and organizational policies and procedures relevant to areas of responsibility.
- Contract management practices in a public agency setting.
- Practices of researching operational issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations, and preparing and presenting effective staff reports.
- General principles of risk management related to the functions of the assigned area.
- Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications related to the work.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and City staff.
- Recommend and implement goals, objectives, and practices for providing effective and efficient services.
- Administer complex and technical construction, maintenance, and repair and related programs.
- Research, analyze, and evaluate new service delivery methods, procedures, and techniques.
- Effectively represent the City in meetings with governmental agencies; community groups; various
businesses, professional, and regulatory organizations; and in meetings with individuals.
- Establish and maintain a variety of filing, recordkeeping, and tracking systems.
- Operate office equipment and computer applications related to the work.
- Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Make sound, independent decisions within established policy and procedural guidelines.
The ideal candidate for the Public Works Manager position will be an innovative and creative leader with a high level of integrity, will have a proven record of building and leading teams, and shall possess high expectations for customer service.
Candidates should also demonstrate:
- The ability to continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; identify opportunities for improvement; and direct the implementation of changes.
- Respond and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Select, train, lead, and evaluate staff members to provide exceptional service.
- Oversee and schedule projects, traffic control, facilities, events and staff insuring efficiency.
- Measure, track, correct, and report employee performance.
- Assist with analysis, preparation, recommendations, and monitoring of assigned budgets.
- Maintain workflow management systems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration or a related field, and six years of progressively responsible public works experience, including two years of administrative and supervisory responsibility.
Must successfully pass pre-employment criminal background and driver records check.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
The annual salary range is $96,000 to $106,368. Placement within the range will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. An excellent benefit package provides medical insurance, dental and vision coverage, life, short-term, and long-term disability insurance.
The City of Snohomish is an Equal Opportunity Employer