Administrative AssistantCity of Snohomish
(City Clerk/Human Resources Division)
Department: Mayor’s Office
Salary Range: $63,648 to 70,512/year, plus generous benefits (2018 Salary)
Closes: Tuesday, February 19, 2019
Under the supervision of the City Clerk/Human Resources Manager or designee, provides highly skilled administrative professional work. Duties require a high degree of confidentiality, premier customer service, project management skills, diplomacy and tact; working independently or jointly; and may involve weekly evening and other meetings.
Examples of Job Duties:
- Generate, compose, distribute and file general and confidential correspondence, agendas, minutes, reports, contracts, resolutions, ordinances, forms, and staff performance evaluations.
- Works independently and/or within a team on assignments or special projects, which may include planning and coordinating meetings and retreats, disseminating information and organizing City events, and maintaining inter-agency relations.
- Provides administrative and/or secretarial support for other administrative staff and in support of the City Council.
- Assists Human Resources Manager in recruitment activities; arranges applicant interviews; oversee testing processes and conducts pre-employment reference and background checks.
- Assists in serving as a designated agent to receive claims for damage pursuant to RCW 4.96 and as the Washington Cities Insurance Authority’s alternate designate contact person for processing liability and property claims and legal pleadings. Under direction, commences initial investigation as necessary. Maintains related records.
- Assists City Clerk in maintaining all official City records; paper and electronic. Prepare documents for permanent storage and the destruction of obsolete records in accordance with State Retention Schedules; Assist in fulfilling public records disclosure requests.
- Assists with special project work in the area of recruitment, employment, benefits or other areas, as assigned.
- May attend various bargaining unit meetings on behalf of City management staff; assist with document/proposal preparation and note taking involved in contract(s) bargaining, grievance hearings, etc.
- Creates copy and maintains assigned sections of the City’s website.
- Transcribes, composes, summarizes and edits the content of the City Council and its Board and Commissions’ meetings in order to prepare and present an accurate public record of the minutes, including discussions, motions and Council direction.
- Confer with City departments in investigating and resolving alleged code violation and other complaints generated by citizens. Monitor the resolution of citizen complaints.
- Maintains departmental time sheets.
- Maintains list of appointed board and commission members and posts notices for vacancies; assists with applicant and appointment process; maintains attendance records and provides attendance report to the Mayor annually.
- Processes monthly invoices for final approval and payment, including assisting in the monthly review of City Attorney invoicing.
- Assists as Contract Administrator for Indigent Defense Contract with Snohomish County Public Defenders.
- Attends a variety of boards, commissions, committees; prepares staff reports and other necessary correspondence. Attends and staffs City Council meetings in the City Clerk’s absence.
- Maintains productivity and self-motivation in accomplishing assigned tasks and duties. Meets deadlines and develops and follows personal work plan to accomplish assignments and objectives within available resources.
- Performs related duties as required.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent with two years of coursework or vocational training in office management, administrative, accounting, secretarial, and/or business skills; or Associates Degree in business or public administration or related field is highly desirable.
Must have five years of extensive and progressively responsible executive administrative and secretarial experience providing support to senior management level staff, preferably in a municipal or public sector agency environment.
Must successfully pass pre-employment criminal background screening and driver records check.
The City of Snohomish is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce