Accounting Technician II (Payroll and Accounts Payable)City of Snohomish
ACCOUNTING TECHNICIAN II
(Payroll and Accounts Payable)
Annual Salary: $46,080 - $59,556, plus benefits
Closes: 5:00 p.m., Monday, November 5, 2018
Position Summary: Under general supervision, performs a variety of responsible and routine technical accounting duties involved in performing financial recordkeeping and reporting duties in support of assigned accounting system, function, or program area including in the areas of accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and utility billing account maintenance and processing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs a variety of responsible clerical and routine technical accounting duties in support of assigned accounting system, function, or program area including in the areas of accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and utility billing account maintenance and processing.
- Prepares, maintains, and/or verifies a variety of accounting, financial, and statistical records, ledgers, logs, and files; gathers, assembles, tabulates, enters, checks, verifies, balances, adjusts, records, and files financial data; codes data according to prescribed accounting procedures; reviews information to ensure accurate reporting; resolves discrepancies; establishes and maintains various files and records.
- Assists in the preparation of financial, accounting, and statistical statements, analyses, documents, and reports; gathers and organizes data to assist staff in the preparation of reports and recommendations; prepares routine financial, accounting, budgetary, and statistical studies and reports.
- Balances and reconciles various statements and accounts; analyzes accounts to determine accuracy of records; researches, compiles, and prepares reports for higher level staff as requested.
- Utilizes various computer programs and applications; enters and maintains data; generates reports from a database or in-house system; creates spreadsheets and generates reports using spreadsheet software; creates documents using word processing software.
- Provides customer service; responds in person or by phone to requests, inquiries, and complaints including those from City employees, utility customers, vendors, and the l public.
- Performs a full range of duties in support of the accounts payable function; processes invoices, and disbursement of warrants to City vendors and contractors; receives and verifies invoices; enters invoices in preparation for bi-monthly warrant runs; prints vouchers; updates vendor files; answers questions regarding City purchasing requirements; monitors purchases to date and compares total to authorized budget limits; prepares Treasurer’s checks for various City payments; maintains and orders various office supplies for City Hall use.
- Maintains control of and schedules use of the City’s travel credit cards; receives, reviews, and verifies all transactions for all City credit cards and ensures payment before statement closing date; contacts vendors to receive copies of lost charge slips to ensure purchases were made within City policy.
- Maintains control of and disburses petty cash; ensures proper documentation is received and maintained; reconciles and processes reimbursement requests.
- Prepares the City payroll; maintains employee payroll files; collects, verifies, and corrects if necessary all time data for payroll; enters time data into the computer; runs payroll reports and verifies reports for accuracy; prepares and reconciles payroll reports; creates and submits transmittal tape for direct deposit; prints and distributes paychecks and vouchers; prepares and processes additional benefits payroll for payment of employee deductions to various agencies; reconciles medical, dental, vision, union dues, and related billings.
- Prepares and reconciles payroll reports for State and Federal agencies including 941 tax deposits and quarterly reports and L & I quarterly reports; prints and distributes W-2 forms.
- Reviews and maintains benefits including medical and dental; schedules and conducts new employee orientations.
- Participates in the day-to-day cash management of the City’s demand accounts; transfers money to and from the state investment pool; transfers money to claims and payroll account; provides dual control of the day’s receipts and ensures proper deposit was received at bank.
- Provides dual review of reimbursement transactions, petty cash, disbursements, travel vouchers, and credit card transactions.
- Completes combined excise tax return and remits to Department of Revenue.
- Receives, processes, and collects returned checks (NSF); writes notices to customers and ensures collection, stopping, or permit or infraction process; ensures proper general ledger processing.
- Serves as relief to front counter personnel; processes cash and check transactions for payment of utility bills, business licenses, traffic/parking violations, and related City services and transactions; reconciles and posts daily financial transactions; verifies daily bank deposits; assists customers and the general public in person or by phone with billing or payment inquiries, complaints, or concerns.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by technical training or college level course work in bookkeeping, accounting, business administration, or a related field. An Associate’s degree is desirable.
Three years of increasingly responsible clerical and technical accounting experience, which includes maintenance and posting of accounting, financial and/or statistical records.
The City of Snohomish is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce