Computer TechnicianCity of Marysville
This position provides technical help desk assistance to all city employees. This position is responsible for the installation and maintenance of computer hardware, software, and peripheral devices. The incumbent is also responsible for other information services infrastructure including telephones, wireless communications devices, copiers, and other technologies.
The work performed is highly confidential and sensitive in nature and follows established procedures and general directions; incumbents operate independently and apply established guidelines and alternatives with supervisor's guidance readily available.
Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Responsible for help desk functions including expediting requests to the appropriate information services personnel and tracking help desk requests.
- Troubleshoots problems with desktop computer systems, software applications, and peripheral devices; makes needed repairs and adjustments.
- Deploys computer systems by administering images and using an image deployment server.
- Installs and maintains other technology-based tools such as PC peripheral devices, faxes, copiers, etc. Performs preventive maintenance on desktop computer systems and peripheral devices.
- Assists with routine maintenance on city websites including SharePoint.
- Maintains inventories of software, computers and other technology hardware.
- Performs basic user and computer Active Directory administration, such as computer moves and password resets.
- Administers and deploys VoIP and wireless phone systems.
- Trains users on basic PC software, email, and phone systems. Provides advanced Microsoft Office support including form building.
- Performs administrative duties such as mail distribution, office supplies, and tracking checkout equipment. Acts as information services purchasing agent / receiving clerk.
A combination of the experience, education, and training listed below which provides an equivalent background to perform the work of this position.
- Two years of customer service experience providing services by phone and in person; minimum two years of experience in a business office or municipal environment which provides sufficient training and knowledge to perform administrative and technical duties.
- Experience installing and/or maintaining Windows workstations, supporting users on PC software, web site design, and experience with VoIP phone systems, preferred.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Associate of technical arts degree in computer information, preferred.
- Must possess, or have the ability to possess with six months of hire date, A+ certification.
- Must possess, or have the ability to possess within one month of hire date, a Washington State driver's license.
- Must be able to pass an extensive fingerprint background check.
The physical demands and characteristics of the work environment described here are representative of those occurring in the performance of the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift up to 10 pounds; occasionally lift 10 to 20 pounds; and rarely lift and/or move 20 to 50 pounds (employee may ask for assistance).
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. This position works in an office, and the noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
This position works a regular schedule; however, incumbents may be required to work some holiday, evening and/or weekend hours to respond to emergencies and/or to implement specific projects.
This position description generally describes the principle functions of the position and the level of knowledge and skills typically required. It does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and it is subject to change as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.
The City of Marysville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or the presence of a non-job-related condition or disability.