Crew Worker IICity of Lake Stevens
Crew Worker II
First review of applications is February 25, 2019.
Under general supervision, this performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled maintenance, operation, and repair tasks to City streets, surface water facilities, buildings, structures, parks, and other City owned facilities; and operates maintenance and construction tools and equipment.
This is the full journey level class within the Crew Worker series. Employees within this class are distinguished from the Crew Worker I by the performance of the full range of duties as assigned including the more complex construction, maintenance, operations, and repair duties, operating a variety of equipment, providing training to less experienced Crew Workers, and possesses a Commercial Driver's License. Employees at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise, and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit. Positions in this class require prior experience.
This is a broad classification with individual positions assigned to specific functional areas; duties and assignments may overlap depending on the operational needs of the department and staffing levels.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates a variety of construction and maintenance equipment and small hand power tools including dump truck, snow plow and sander, front-end loader, street painting machine, vactor trucks, riding turf mower, backhoe, track hoe, tractors, jack hammer, backpack blower, chainsaw, brush trimmers, boom bucket, paint sprayer, concrete saw, boom mower, and other specialized equipment; maintains hand tools and assigned equipment; performs limited servicing, operational servicing, safety inspections, and general preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Performs vegetation maintenance activities on public grounds, street, and parks involving mowing, tree and brush trimming and pruning, collect and remove vegetation cuttings and perform other vegetation planting and removal activities.
- Performs general maintenance, repairs, and cleaning activities on City buildings, facilities, and grounds.
- Performs traffic control setup and take down; installs street barricades and cones for maintenance, repair, and special event activities; directs and controls traffic around work sites, to support emergency situations, or as directed as the situation requires.
- Performs work in accordance with all federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations and within mandated and appropriate safety standards.
- Responds to public inquiries in the field in a courteous manner; provides verbal information within the area of assignment; attempt to resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Providing training on equipment usage, means and methods of task performance, and guidance on safety to Crew Worker I's.
- Responds to emergencies as needed.
- Performs related duties as required.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent; and
Experience: Four (4) years of maintenance, repair, and construction experience in streets, storm, or other comparable public works area of service AND two (2) years experience as a public works crew worker or equivalent involving operation and maintenance of power tools and heavy equipment;
Or: Any combination of education and experience, which provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job, may be substituted for these qualifications.Examples of these skills may include:
- Operations, services and activities of assigned public works maintenance and repair program
- Methods and techniques used in the construction and maintenance of streets, sidewalks, signs, storm drains, parkways, municipal buildings, and other public works systems and facilities
- Function, usage, and operating characteristics of a variety of vehicles, equipment, power tools and hand tools used in public works maintenance and repair including motorized, pneumatic, and hydraulic equipment.
- Procedures and techniques used in concrete and asphalt work
- Traffic laws, ordinances, and rules involved in CDL truck and equipment operation
- Properties of backfill materials, construction materials, concrete, asphalt, hot patch, cold patch, oils, paints, and a variety of other materials used in maintenance work
- Practices and procedures of traffic control
- Confined space entry
- Principles and practices of record keeping
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices
- Pertinent Federal, State and local codes, laws, and regulations
- General computer skills
- Perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled maintenance, construction and repair work in the area of work assigned
- Operate a variety of vehicles, tools, and equipment in a safe, proper, and effective manner
- Use and operate vehicles and equipment, hand tools, and power tools and equipment required for the work in a safe and efficient manner
- Ensure safety around work areas in high traffic
- Read and interpret basic maps and plans
- Assist in the training and oversight of others including in the safe operation of equipment
- Perform a variety of tasks for extended periods of time including during adverse weather conditions
- Perform heavy manual labor
- Work safely and adhere to principles and practices of safety in all areas of public works services
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
- Troubleshoot equipment malfunctions and make minor repairs to tools and equipment
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Successfully complete various required training classes and obtain and maintain certificates necessary for functional skills performance, maintenance and improvement
Licenses, Certifications and Other Requirements:
- Valid Washington State driver's license, or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire and a driving record which meets the city's requirements
- Possession of a Class-A Commercial Driver License, preferred. Ability to drive air brake equipped vehicles with a tanker endorsement, preferred
- First-Aid Certification is required
- Traffic Flagging Certification is required
- Completion of position-relevant background check.