Crew Worker ICity of Lake Stevens
This position performs a variety of public works activities involving maintenance and construction of public parks and landscaping at public facilities. This position may occasionally perform related duties involving the construction and maintenance of public facilities including: streets, surface water facilities, buildings, structures, and other associated manual labor activities.
This is the entry level class in the Crew Worker series. This class is distinguished from the Crew Worker II by the performance of the more routine tasks and duties assigned to positions within the series including less complex construction, maintenance, and repair duties. Since this class is typically considered an entry level position, employees may have limited or no directly related work experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate a variety of construction and maintenance equipment and small hand power tools including front-end loader, riding turf mower, backhoe, track hoe, tractor, backpack blower, chainsaw, edger, push mower, brush trimmer, paint sprayer, and other specialized equipment; maintains hand tools and assigned equipment; performs limited servicing, operational servicing, safety inspections, and preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Perform maintenance activities on public grounds, street shoulders and medians, and parks including mowing, weeding, tree and brush trimming, and pruning.
- Perform vegetation planting, trimming, pruning, and clean up.
- Perform general maintenance/cleaning activities and minor repairs on City buildings and facilities.
- Assist with the preparation and implementation of landscaping and playground plans to include the planting, grading, patching, surface treatment, graveling, sweeping, cleaning, striping of public areas, and sidewalks.
- Perform maintenance on restrooms facilities including cleaning, minor repair activities, and janitorial services. Minor repair activities may include basic carpentry, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing work.
- Keep shop and storage area clean and orderly.
- Clean, maintain, repair, and install City storm water systems.
- Grade, pave, patch, surface treatment, gravel, sweeping, clean, strip, and perform other repairs on public streets, sidewalks, and trails.
- Install, repair, and maintain various City signs; involves periodic inspection of conditions of signs; prepare documentation of work performed.
- Perform general maintenance and minor repairs on public works equipment.
- Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; gather public contact information on requests for information by public to Lead position; resolves complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Perform work in accordance with all federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations and within mandated and appropriate safety standards and permit requirements.
- Respond to emergencies as needed.
- Perform related duties as required.
Education: High school diploma or G.E.D.; and
Experience: One (1) year of maintenance and repair in construction, public works, or landscaping is desirable.
Or: Any combination of education and experience, which provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job, may be substituted for these qualifications.
- Operations, services and activities of assigned public works maintenance and repair program.
- Purposes, uses, and operating characteristics of a variety of vehicles, equipment, power tools and hand tools used in public works parks maintenance and repair including motorized, pneumatic, and hydraulic equipment
- Traffic laws, guidelines and rules involved in truck and equipment operation
- Practices and procedures of traffic control
- Basic properties of backfill materials, construction materials, concrete, asphalt, hot patch, cold patch, oils, paints, and a variety of other materials used in maintenance work
- Confined space entry
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices
- Pertinent federal, state and local codes, laws, and regulations
- General computer skills
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions and directions
- Perform a variety of semi-skilled maintenance, construction and repair work in the area of work assigned
- Use and operate vehicles and equipment, hand tools, and power tools and equipment required for the work in a safe and efficient manner
- Read and interpret basic maps and plans
- Perform a variety of tasks for extended periods of time and in unfavorable weather conditions
- Perform heavy manual labor
- Work safely and adhere to principles of safety in all areas of public works services
- Ensure adherence to safe work practices and procedures and maintain a safe work area
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
- Troubleshoot equipment malfunctions and make minor repairs to tools and equipment
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Successfully complete various required training classes and obtain and maintain certificates necessary for functional skills performance, maintenance and improvement
- Establish and maintain trust, confidence and effective working relationships with staff, elected and appointed officials, and members of the public
- Correctly utilize English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary
- Utilize interpersonal skills with tact, patience, courtesy, and diplomacy
- Understand and appropriately apply situational awareness of changing surroundings in a construction and/or traffic area
- Understand and follow verbal and written instructions
- Read and understand directions to locate job sites and work locations
Licenses, Certifications and Other Requirements:
• Valid Washington State driver's license, or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire and a driving record which meets the city's requirements
• Experience with the safe operation of lawnmowers, brush trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, light construction equipment (tractor), and trucks performing general maintenance tasks, is required
• Valid Washington State Flagger's Card, is preferred
• Completion of position-relevant background check