Public Works InspectorCity of Arlington
This individual performs a full range of inspection in support of public works projects including construction of streets improvements, water systems, sewers, storm water improvements and Capital Facilities projects to ensure conformance with City Standards and safety standards. The individual prepares and maintains records of inspection on all assigned projects.Examples of Duties
- Inspects construction of all Public Works projects at various stages to ensure quality of work and conformity with Plans, Specifications and applicable laws, codes and regulations.
- Reviews Plans and Specifications of assigned projects to ensure conformance with applicable Federal, State and City Codes and Standards.
- Reviews project submittals and materials, including traffic control plans, mix designs and lab analysis data, to ensure compliance with project requirements.
- Inspects underground utility construction including water, sewer and storm drainage. Inspects trenching, shoring, pipe bedding, manhole construction, dewatering, trench backfill and testing.
- Inspects street improvements including survey staking, subgrade preparation, grading, paving, curb and gutter construction and ADA ramp construction. Utilizes equipment, such as smart levels and survey equipment, to ensure ADA improvements meet required standards and tolerances.
- Prepares and maintains detailed documentation of construction activities including Inspector Reports, field records and As Built records. Maintains daily records of instructions and directions given to contractors.
- Tracks and records changes in work made by change directives and change orders.
- Monitors, records and reports on material quantities used during construction and assists in development of construction progress pay estimates. Reviews contractor pay requests for consistency with quantity records tracking.
- Monitors the collection of material samples for testing and analysis by laboratories. Reviews materials testing results to ensure compliance with specifications and construction standards.
- Conducts research of archived information and field investigations to evaluate and verify actual conditions.
- Assists to ensure required communication and timely notifications are given to contractors, businesses and residents during construction projects ahead of planned activities such as detours, water outages or other interruptions of services.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Have knowledge of and be able to effectively perform the duties listed above under "Essential Job Functions".
- Have knowledge of the methods and techniques of public works inspection and be able to effectively apply them.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new or changing industry concepts, regulations, codes or departmental and City processes.
- Ability to interact and collaborate with other City departments and contribute to solutions that benefit the City, its citizens, and the City's customers.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, contractors, intergovernmental agencies and the general public.
- Ability to maintain a positive calm attitude while performing duties and in adverse situations.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
- Hearing and visual acuity and manual dexterity necessary to perform the duties of this job description.
- Ability to perform duties with limited supervision while effectively meeting all established goals and standards.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations as it relates to public works construction and inspection.
- Knowledge of the WSDOT Standard Specifications, Stormwater Management Manual for Western Washington and Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience involving the construction and maintenance of public works infrastructure.
- High School Diploma or GED
- U.S. Citizen or legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Valid Washington State Driver's License and a driving record acceptable to the City.
- Successfully pass a WSP WATCH background check.