EDITOR (EVERETT, WA)
Our newsroom is looking for a journalist with reporting and editing experience to help us deepen connections with our community.
This is likely to be a hybrid position that requires reporting as well as helping our local desk coordinate coverage and edit reporter copy.
Successful applicants will have experience on a range of stories, including beat reporting, breaking news and human interest features. In addition, they need skills, ideas and enthusiasm for our growing digital efforts.
The Daily Herald and HeraldNet serve Snohomish County with top-notch journalism that has earned recognition from our community and our professional peers. To join our team, you should understand most of these things -- and excel at some of them:
- Accurate collection of official information.
- Effective interviewing of sources.
- Writing under deadline pressure.
- Editing stories for length, clarity, and impact.
- Organizing story budgets and schedules.
- Identifying newsworthy topics.
- Handling more than one assignment at a time.
- Taking guidance and learning from other editors.
- Communicating with readers on social media.
- Taking photos and/or making videos on cellphones or other basic equipment.
- Writing story leads and suggested headlines that reflect familiarity with SEO.
Along with a cover letter and resume, please provide four to six examples of your work (online links preferred) and three professional references to:
. Be sure to note ATTN: EDITEDH in the subject line.
Sound Publishing is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and offers competitive wages, paid leave benefits (Vac,Sick,Hol), and a 401K with Employer match. Check out our website to find out more about us!
About this company
Washington's largest community news organization!
Founded in 1987, Sound Publishing, Inc. is the largest community news organization in Washington State. Today, more people read Sound Publishing community newspapers than traditional dailies in the markets we cover.
Our titles deliver relevant, local news that directly affects the lives of those who raise families and work in the 100+ communities we serve. Reader engagement is enhanced by our local newsrooms' dedication to our “digital first” philosophy.
Our printing, distribution, circulation, websites and readership studies are audited by the Certified Audit of Circulations (CAC) and Alliance for Audited Media (AAM) to provide an accurate picture of each publication’s market penetration and reach.
Sound Publishing delivers community.